Tuesday 7 June 2011

God, Love, Worship and Shoes

On a dull Sunday morning
We gather outside the church doors:
Mothers and fashionable children,
Fathers with bright prams and new babies
(Eye shadows sparkle and lipsticks smile at
Expensive watches and crisp perfumes).

Smiling men in dark suits
Welcome each one personally,
(Their ties shine in their trendiness)
Pat the children and wink at them
Shake hands heartily, laugh grandly,
Exchange kisses and
Predictable jokes.
Each one is welcomed, each one is loved.

So much studied and practised love.

‘Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God;
And every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.’

The tall walls rise to meet
Hands joined in prayer.
Heaven dangles before hope filled sinners.

My head bowed, I see
The lady next to me has lovely shoes,
Red, that match her suede jacket.
I look at them and admire them;
My shoes aren’t all that bad either.
A tall leather affair that cost a week’s pay.
I must get a dress to match.

God does not speak to me here.

(Bexley 2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment